Formulation Development and In Vitro Evaluation of Levetiracetam Oral Disintegrating Tablets
Objective: The main objective of current research work is to formulate the Levetiracetam oral disintegrating tablets. Levetiracetam, a newer anti convulsant and used to treat epilepsy and chronic seizures.
Methods: The oral disintegrating tablets of Levetiracetam were prepared employing various proportions of Crospovidone and Croscarmellose sodium as a Superdisintegrants by Direct Compression technique. 9 formulations were developed and are evaluated for various finished product quality assurance methods.
Results: Results reveals that all the formulation were found to be with in the Pharmacopoeial limits and the In-vitro dissolution profiles of all formulations were fitted in to different Kinetic models, the statistical parameters were determined.
Conclusion: Formulation (F5) containing 37.5 mg of Crospovidone and 37.5 mg of Croscarmellose, is ideal formulation (similarity factor f2= 82.676, dissimilarity factor f1= 2.049 & No significant difference, t= 0.0456) to marketed product (SPRITAM-250). Formulation (F5) follows First order, Higuchi’s kinetics, mechanism of drug release was found to be Non-Fickian Diffusion (n= 0.666).
2. Sehgal P, Gupta R, Umesh Kumar S, Chaturvedi A, Gulati A, Sharma M. Fast Dissolving Tablets: A New Venture in Drug Delivery, Am. J. Pharm Tech Res. 2012; 2(4): 252-279.
3. Md.Nehal, Garima.G, Pramod KS. Fast Dissolving Tablets: Preparation, Characterization and Evaluation: An Overview, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research 2010; 4(2): 87-96.
4. David E, Armen H. T, Ethrin J Aand April W. Armstrong. Principles of pharmacology.Thepathophysiologic basis of drug therapy. Wolters Kluwer (India) Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, 2008; 2ndedition, pp. 815.
5. Rajeev soni, Galividyasagar. Design and development of quick dissolving tablet Containing loratadine by direct compression method, International Journal of Pharmaceutical, Chemical and Biological Sciences, 2013; 3(3): 771-800.
6. Gupta A, Mishra AK, Gupta V, Bansal P, Singh R and SinghAK, Recent Trends of Fast Dissolving Tablet - An Overviewof Formulation Technology, Int. J. Pharmaceutical &Biological Archives, 2010; 1(1): 1-10.
7. Manivannan R, Oral Disintegrating Tablets: A Future Compaction, Int. J. of Pharma Research and Development,2009; 1(1): 1-10.
8. Farooq MU, Bhatt A, Majid A, Gupta R, Khasnis A, Kassab MY. Levetiracetam for managing neurologic and psychiatric disorders. Am J Health Syst Pharm.2009;66 (6): 541–61.
9. Gambardella A, Labate A, Colosimo E, Ambrosio R, Quattrone A Monotherapy for partial epilepsy: focus on levetiracetam. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat.2008;4(1): 33–38.
10. Himanshu Paliwal, Sachin Goyal, Kamal Singh Rathore , Shivali Singla , Shashi Daksh. Formulation and Evaluation of Levetiracetam Extended Release Tablets. International Journal of Pharma Sciences Review&Research.2016;41(1):260-6.
11. Amish Ashvinkumar Dangi, Ganure Ashok L , and Jain Divya. Formulation and Evaluation of Colon Targeted Drug Delivery System of Levetiracetam using Pectin as Polymeric Carrier. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science.2013;3(1):78-87.
12. Airaj Mahajabeen, E.Hari Krishna, Ramya Sri Sura. Formulation and evaluation of levetiracetam extended release tablets. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.2015;4(4):1446-60.
13. Sudarshan singh, Shankar Bhavesh, Nayak SanjayKumar, Bothara sunil. Formulation and evaluation of levetiracetam extended release tablets. International Journal of pharmaceutical sciences and nanotechnology. 2013;6(1):1958-65.
14. Y. Ganesh Kumar, P. Goverdhan Reddy, V. Kiran Kumar. Formulation design and development of Orodispersible tablets of Levetiracetam. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 2017;11(6):775-779.
15. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, J.N.Suresh Kumar, S.Jayakumari ,A.Vijayalakshmi, V.Satyanarayana. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Risperidone Fast Dissolving Tablets. Journal of Pharmacy Research, 2016,10(9):579-588.
16. Gunda RaghavendraKumar, J.N.Suresh Kumar, V.Satyanarayana, G.Swarupa Rani, B.Satya Prasad. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Clopidogrel Fast Dissolving Tablets. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2016: 12 (2): 61-74.
17. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, Jujjuru Naga Suresh Kumar. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Moxifloxacin.Hcl Fast Dissolving Tablets. Pharmaceutical Methods. 2017; 8(2):160-7.
18. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, J. N. Suresh Kumar , V. Satyanarayana, Swathi Batta, Ch. Meher Harika. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Carbamazepine Fast Dissolving Tablets. Journal of Pharmacy Research, 2016,10(5):216-225.
19. NG RaghavendraRao, Upendra Kulkarni. Development of Carbamazepine Fast Dissolving Tablets: Effect of Functionality of Hydrophillic Carriers on Solid Dispersion Technique, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research , 2010; 3(2):114-117.
20. Shiv Shankar Hardenia, G.N. Darwhekar, ShaileshSharmaandAnuHardenia. Designing and Pharmaceutical Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Tablet of Fexofenadine Using Coprocessed Superdisintegrants, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 2014; Vol. 5(7): 3018-3030.
21. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda. Formulation development and evaluation of rosiglitazone maleate sustained release tablets using 32 factorial design. International J of PharmTech Research, 2015; 8(4): 713-724.
22. Notari RE. Biopharmaceutics and clinical pharmacokinetics. 4th ed. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc; 1987; 6-21.
23. Higuchi T, Mechanism of sustained-action medication. Theoretical analysis of rate of release of solid drugs dispersed in solid matrices. Journal of Pharmceutical Sciences. 1963; 51:1145-9.
24. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, Jujjuru Naga Suresh Kumar. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Amisulpride Fast Dissolving Tablets. FABAD Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2018; 43(2): 105-15.
25. Peppas NA. Analysis of fickian and non-fickian drug release from polymers PharmaceuticaActaHelvetiae . 1985; 60:110-1.
Copyright (c) 2019 Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, Prasada Rao Manchineni, Chaikam Gopi Reddy, Kurapati Divya, Duddu Alekhya, Ekula Jyoshna
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.